Job title: Interpreter- Cultural Mediator (Farsi speaker)
Starting date: January 2022
Location: Thessaloniki (Center)
Duration of the program: 1 month, with possibility of extension
Type: Full time, 8h/day Monday to Friday
The Y.M.C.A. movement all over the world highlights a society model in which people’s relationships are characterized by solidarity, integrity, mutual respect and love. This is the model of society YMCA Thessaloniki promotes. Since 1921, YMCA Thessaloniki has contributed to crisis management in a human dimension, via programs and actions for the acquaintance and acceptance of cultures. Within the framework of the above, YMCA, in collaboration with the School of Modern Greek Language of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and with the Major Development Agency of Thessaloniki, undertakes the planning and implementation of a program entitled “Provision of Integration Courses for Beneficiaries of International Protection for the City of Thessaloniki “. The program consists on mandatory Greek language and Soft Skills courses for people under international protection. The program offers to the students the opportunity to bring their children –from 2 to 7 years old- providing a child care service.
The role of the Interpreter-Cultural Mediator is to provide interpretation services from Farsi to Greek or English and vice versa. The selected interpreters will work closely with the project coordinator and assistant, but also with the Soft Skills teachers. Main responsibility is to support the program in whatever is related to their mother tongue. More specifically:
- Translate and act as a cultural mediator whenever required in all the steps of the program.
- Keep records and complete all project documents required ( attendance sheets, etc).
- Keep a tidy, clean and organized place.
- Participate in project meetings and foster teamwork
- Report to project coordinator on a daily and weekly basis if required
- Participate in performance reviews when and if asked by management
- Adhere to Code of Conduct, policies and guidelines of the organization
- Respect human rights
- Fluency in Farsi (written and spoken).
- Fluency in Greek OR English (written and spoken)
- Residence and work permit in Greece
- 1 year of previous experience in relevant position
- Work experience with refugee population
- Computer skills
- Fluency in another language will be considered an asset (Sorani, Kurmanji, etc.)
- Conflict management and problem solving
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills
- Social perceptiveness
- Very good time management and organizational skills
with subject: Job Title / Name.
All applications must be accompanied by a curriculum vitae with telephone and e-mail contacts.UNTIL 21/12/2022
Only the shortlisted candidates will be informed.
As part of the protection of Personal Data, our organization ensures the legal and appropriate procedure for the protection and confidentiality of the Personal Data we receive. More information on the processing of CVs can be found here.