Job title: Child Care Worker / Early Childhood Facilitator (Arabic/Kurdish speaker)
Starting date: September 2019
Location: Thessaloniki (centre)
Duration: fixed-term contract for 4 months
The Y.M.C.A. movement all over the world highlights a society model in which people’s relationships are characterized by solidarity, integrity, mutual respect and love. This is the model of society YMCA Thessaloniki promotes. Since 1921, YMCA Thessaloniki has contributed to crisis management in a human dimension, via programs and actions for the acquaintance and acceptance of cultures. Based on these principals, YMCA Thessaloniki undertakes the planning and implementation of Action I: “DIA-drasis: Child Center for the Development of Social Skills” under the project “Enhancing the right to education and access to schooling for refugee children” with the auspices of the Municipality of Thessaloniki and lead partner the Major Development Agency of Thessaloniki.
The role of Child Care Worker/Early Childhood Facilitator is crucial for the proper function of the Day Care Center “DIA-drasis”. The main responsibility is to support the education program implementation in the children’s first language, attend to children activities and perform a variety of tasks on a daily basis. More specifically:
- Design and implement educational activities in mother tongue addressing children’s needs with the support of the project coordinator.
- Provide instruction in children’s daily habits and teach children simple subject matters (drawing, handicrafts, songs).
- Observe and monitor children’s play and other activities of the program.
- Organise and participate in group activities and games.
- Organise and participate in recreational and educational activities aiming at social, personal, motor, communicative skills development.
- Keep records and complete all project documents required (daily monitoring sheets, daily lesson plans, attendance sheets).
- Handle any medication administration and any personal hygiene matter.
- Keep a tidy, clean and organized place.
- Keep a safe and friendly space for children supporting their emotional and social development.
- Identify any signs of emotional and social development issues in children and report them to project coordinator.
- Participate in organized parent meetings supervised by the project coordinator.
- Assist as a cultural mediator in parent meetings or in educational activities.
- Adhere to Code of Conduct, policies and guidelines of the organisation
- Respect human rights and children’s rights
- Participate in project meetings and foster teamwork
- Report to project coordinator on a daily and weekly basis
- Participate in performance reviews when and if asked by management
- Degree on Early Childhood Care and Education, Pedagogy or Psychology.
- Work experience in early childhood care.
- Very good command of English or Greek (spoken and/or written)
- Native speaker of Arabic and/or Kurdish.
- Friendly and supportive with children of early age
- Conflict management and problem solving
- Communication skills
- Social perceptiveness
- Instructing / Teaching skills
Email your application to: [email protected] with subject: Job Title / Name.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and a CV with telephone and e-mail contacts.
Send applications due: 30/08/2019
Only the shortlisted candidates will be informed.